In This Article
What is 5th Generation Processor?
The 5th generation processors refer to the particular family of processors that are based on 14 nm process technology, 2nd generation tri-gate transistors and belong to the 64-bit family and come with a pretty small thermal envelope.
These processors are based on U-Processor and M-processor and designed on a low-power PCH or Platform Controller Hub die.
- Offering enhanced graphics and increased performance the 5th generation processors are good to be used in desktop computers, laptop computers and even in the next generation of Internet of Things solutions.
- These processors will offer you a better visual experience with faster and seamless performance, higher security and manageability, more flexibility and compatibility.
- The features included in these processors will offer better support while operation and data protection and privacy, as well as remote management options.
- Internal heat buildup is an issue with the 5th generation processors that also have some specific hardware, software, and configuration and set up requirements.
Understanding 5th Generation Processor
The 5th generation core processors come in different variants and from different manufacturers such as Intel, Pentium, AMD and others.
The features of each may vary slightly but the primary purpose for all these processors remains the same: to boost the CPU performance and graphics dramatically.
It is all due to the latest quantum technology used in the designing and manufacturing of the 5th generation processors.
Whether these processors are used for a desktop computer or for the mobile systems, all of these processors maintain a significant compatibility with the earlier generations of computer processors.
Apart from that, these processors have driven the IoT or Internet of Things innovations, the latest addition into the world of computers that has made life even simpler.
The 5th generation processors are designed specifically to ensure that it is fast and consumes less power for a better performance and higher capability.
It has also added a lot of value to the IoT resulting in different usable models of it.
Operating at a TDP and configurable low power, which is as low as 37 watts, these 5th generation Intel Core processors provide better user experience with its salient features.
These are the best type of processors to use for those small and energy efficient form factors as well.
The intelligent designs of the 5th generation processors ensure an improved performance within a small thermal envelope.
This is primarily because the 14 nm processors are typically based on different structural units and elements of:
- The U-processor
- Mobile Intel Celeron processors
- Mobile Intel Pentium processors and
- Intel Core M processors.
This processor falls into the 64-bit, multi-core processor category.
It is designed to be the single chip platform that consists of a low-power PCH or Platform Controller Hub die.
This die is in the same package as the die of the processor.
This PCH is a very important component of this processor that is also referred to by different names according to the different I/O families it belongs to, such as:
- The Mobile 5th generation Intel Core processor family I/O
- Mobile Intel Pentium Processor family I/O
- Intel Core M processor family I/O and
- Mobile Intel Celeron processor family I/O.
The 5th generation processors are built using the leading technologies that are industry specific.
Few of these technologies used are new, such as the 14 nm process technology, and few are taken from the previous generations of processors, such as the tri-gate transistors that were used for the first time in the second generation processors!
Design and Features Aspect
The 5th generation processor is the latest addition that boosts the performance of the systems, whether it is a desktop, a laptop or any other computing device.
Designed to work perfectly with all sophisticated mechanisms, this processor comes in different variations and specifications.
For example, if you consider the Intel Core i5-5200U, which is one of the best available processors for the notebooks, has innovative and extremely useful features.
This helps it to function just as it should in almost all laptop configurations and mid-range CPUs.
The i5-5200U processor is the latest in the range of 5th generation Intel Core ‘Broadwell’ CPU and sits in the middle of it.
The other two types at the two extremes of this range are:
- The i3-5010U and
- The i7-5500U.
All Broadwell processors come with excellent power efficiency. The performance-per-watt ratio of these 5th generation processor types are much better in comparison to that of the earlier generations of processors.
Whether it is the 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4xx0U or any other similar types of processors manufactured by AMD, nothing can match the performance of the latest 5th generation processors of any manufacturer.
Ideally, the features that make these processors one of its kind and superbly powerful include:
- The two powerful cores that runs at an incredible speed range of 2.2 to 2.7 GHz
- The latest Turbo Boost technology that increases the clock speed based on the user case and scenario and
- Hyper Threading ability that allows double computing threads or sets of instruction for each core.
As for the other specifications of the 5th generation processors, it may vary according to the type. Once again, if you consider the i5-5200U processor, the specs of it include:
- A cache size of 3 MB for faster data transfer
- A DDR3 memory support that can operate at a maximum speed of 1600 MHz
- An Intel HD 5500 integrated graphics for better display and
- Low power consumption to the extent of 15 watts.
As for the others, all are built on the 14-nanometer technology. These processors also have other features such as an Intel Quick Sync Video that expedites conversion rate of the video files.
Apart from that, the 5th generation processors come with a Turbo Boost technology that enhances the performance of the cores dynamically, However, it depends on the thermal headroom and power.
Typically used for the laptops and two-in-ones, apart from desktop computers, some of these processor types also come with VT-d and VT-x virtualization that raises the performance and rating of them.
The Intel Wireless Gigabit Docking technology is another useful and unique feature of these processors that ensure wireless convenience and high responsiveness. Ready and connected, it delivers:
- Automatic docking based on the proximity
- Wire-like performance for the mouse, keyboard, USB accessories and the display
- Better user experience and display
- Remote dock management with better IT controls and
- Smart and secure data handling for ultimate protection.
Then, there is the Intel SSD Pro 2500 Series 4 that provides the following benefits:
- Support for OPAL 2.0 foundation that helps in using Digital Fencing and Secure Managed Containers
- Integrated encryption capability of an entire disc without any compromises made in the performance and data productivity
- Secured and safe erasing of the user data and the retired block areas along with the SSD reserved data ensuring that the identity is protected and
- Compliance of the username and password with the hardware strengths to enjoy its benefits.
Another useful technology of the 5th generation processor namely, the Intel Identity Protection Technology, will provide you with the following benefits:
- Proper authentication procedures
- Additional hardware strength
- Presence proof
- Extra protection for the data
- Data integrity with robust mutual authentication and
- Malware screen scraping protection.
The remote management feature will help you to manage your network, wired or wireless, almost from anywhere.
You can use the secured channel of your network to deal with your clients as well.
This is due to the Intel Active Management technology. This technology has the ability to:
- Address any issue when you are online
- Work efficiently irrespective of the state of the operating system or the power used by the system
- Repair and upgrade the different apps and the operating system as and when required
- Manage client-side software and hardware inventory and
- Make easy and simple configuration with the help of the Setup and Configuration Software of Intel.
Most importantly, if you are using a wireless display. This technology will make your conference room a cable-free area.
On the other hand, the Intel Pro Wireless Display 3 will provide specific benefits for the users as well as the IT professionals. As for the users it will deliver:
- Privacy screen that will disallow unintended or accidental sharing of data and indicate when it is being shared and
- A better control over the presentations as well as on the groups engaged in the interactions.
As for the IT professionals, the same technology will be helpful in:
- Assuring security to the network for complete and foolproof protection to the entire corporate network and data
- Enabling remote management for network settings and client handling and
- Decreasing wireless congestion in the network channels using its intelligent channel management feature.
With all these features included in the 5th generation processor, it can be used effectively in almost all types of computing devices such as:
- Large and small desktops
- All types of laptops
- 2 in 1s
- Detachable devices
- Notebooks and
- Ultrabook systems.
It will, in fact, help you to transform your workplace and productivity with wireless innovations, remote manageability and foolproof built-in security.
The Pros of 5th Generation Processor
1. Better visual experience
This also has the power to drive as many as three autonomous displays.
These displays are the most appealing with its responsive and stunning imagery. This will ensure clear visualization of the data.
2. Better and higher security
The processors come with a higher, better and strong silicon-level security.
This helps in protecting the connected intelligent systems as well as the data dealt by these from malware, hacking, and other types of attacks.
This however, does not impact the operation of the processor or the system on the whole.
3. Highly manageable
These processors are also highly manageable and easy to use. This is due to the Intel vPro technology used in the designs of the processors.
This feature ensures out of box and remote manageability that is far better than the previous generations.
It helps the system to maintain resilient operations level, to be efficient and maintain a stout security posture.
4. Power efficient
These processors are extremely power efficient. It is due to the use of the DPTF or Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework.
This reduces idle power ingesting by the components. It is all due to the automated low power states and the power gates integrated into the processor design.
The processors are highly flexible because of the Flex I/O feature that allows the users to allot a variable number of USB 3.0, SATA 6.0 Gbps, and PCI Express 2.0 ports according to the needs of the configuration.
The intelligent system design of the 5th generation computer makes it well-suited with the 4th generation Intel Core CPUs or computers.
This ensures an easy and quick upgrade of the system so that the benefits of the 5th generation features and improvements can be utilized at its best.
7. Wireless convenience
The Intel Wireless Gigabit Docking technology used in these processors will ensure high response and wireless convenience.
This will result in a better and faster display as well as greater user experience.
8. Better support
The Intel SSD Pro 2500 Series 4 in this processor will provide better support and help you in performing complicated tasks such as digital fencing with secure encrypted integration.
You will find it easy to handle the Secure Managed Containers without having to compromise with its performance.
9. Data protection
You will have enhanced data productivity with ultimate safety and security through the Intel Identity Protection Technology used in the 5th generation processors.
This will ensure proper authentication and proofs, malware protection and also enhance the strength and performance of the hardware components.
10. Remote management and access
With the help of the Active Management Technology of Intel you will be able to manage your wireless or wired networks successfully from anywhere and even fix any issues within it, if any.
Irrespective of the type of device used, this technology will help you to access your clients through a secured channel of the network from anywhere as well.
Whether it is for the users, developers or the IT people, the 5th generation processor will ensure absolute privacy.
There will be no sharing without authentication and the indicator will send alerts when it is done.
The Cons of 5th Generation Processor
12. Setup and configuration
The Intel vPro technology is a sophisticated feature but will need a proper setup and activation to use it fully.
It will also depend on the configuration and setup of the software, hardware, and IT environment of your system.
13. Hardware and software requirements
You will also need to use a few specific hardware components and software to use the innovative technologies of the latest 5th generation processors.
You may also need to activate different services as required by the retailer or the manufacturer of the system.
14. Internal heat buildup
There is a fair chance of heat build up within the system because the 5th generation processors push the limits of the density of the transistors used in it.
This will increase the distance between the nodes which will eventually make your system slower.
As compared to the 4th generation of Intel core processors, the performance level of the 5th generation is not dramatically better or higher.
Though it is significantly higher than the other generations but the 4th, the integrated graphics also does not matter much to most of the users who use their systems for general purpose.
The new 14 nm and Intel vPro technology makes the 5th generation processors superfast.
It can be used across a variety of devices but the fact that the 6th generation would be released soon, tarry a while before making your choice.