In This Article
What is 7th Generation Processor?
A 7th generation processor is a microprocessor chip belonging to the seventh generation of computer processor technology. It is designed using advanced semiconductor technology, providing improved clock speeds, power efficiency, and enhanced graphics processing compared to its predecessors.
This generation of processors significantly improved integrated graphics capabilities, resulting in better performance for tasks like video playback and casual gaming.
They also introduced new technologies such as Intel’s Hyper-Threading, which allows the processor to execute multiple threads simultaneously, improving multitasking ability.
- The 7th generation processors offer much better and more responsive performance, wonderful gaming and entertainment experience with stunning visual experiences across a variety of form factors.
- The Turbo Boost 2.0 and hyper threading technology support of the 7th generation processor enhances the frequency and performance of it allowing it to take on more workload at the same time.
- The processor also offers some other useful features such as clear video HD and Quick Sync Video to enhance the HD graphics quality, integrated memory controller for better reading and writing.
- Smart cache of the processor reduces latency, virtualization limits downtime and enhances productivity and Advanced Encryption Standard Instructions offers better protection.
Understanding 7th Generation Processor
The 6th generation SkyLake processor from Intel was upgraded to a mid-generation in the formation of all new Kaby Lake processors.
This is, ideally, the most significant platform of the 7th generation core brand of the Intel family.
The 7th generation processor is simply a renovation of the 14 nm SkyLake processor, only filled with more features. This helped the manufacturers in:
- Increasing the performance efficiency of the processor and
- Enhancing the power efficiency by reducing its consumption.
This chip is manufactured and improvised for using in laptops and 2-in-1s, primarily.
The 7th generation core chips from Intel perform most efficiently in regards to the watt consumption ratio as compared to the previous 6th generation processor.
The latest version of this processor consists of dual core mobile chips, such as in:
However, when you consider all the other manufacturers, building the 7th generation processor was not that easy.
It was all due to the platform required to build it. For example:
- To Apple, the Kaby Lake posed a significant challenge when they upgraded their MacBook Pro computers
- The Cupertino company switched to theirs from Sky Lake due to the same problem
- The Microsoft’s Surface Book had a number of varied power management problems, all of which were related to Sky Lake and
- The other manufacturers of PC were facing problems with numbers of Firmware and driver updates in the system that was installed with Sky Lake.
Intel, on the other hand, took cue from these issues faced by different manufacturers when they too started to experience several issues and challenges with the Kaby Lake processor. They highlighted those issues.
In the end, the 7th generation processor did not really have much difference from the 6th generation processor regarding its endurance or improvement in power efficiency.
However, to make the 7th generation processor different from the 6th generation chip, Intel worked on the different types and aspects while designing the new processors.
It is these changes and implementation that made it better than the previous version and allowed the users to perform high end and complex tasks on their systems, mostly concurrently.
One of the top priorities of Intel was to improve the video operations feature that will increase the capability of the processor and help in:
- Doing multiple streaming of 4K content
- Use 360-degree videos
- Virtually converting the apps into a greater size or value.
This feature helped Intel in fulfilling their objective of reaching out to a larger number of people.
The Windows Hello functionality made it all so easily possible. This feature allowed the users to login with facial identification.
This is the most common feature in all laptop computers now across the world.
Apart from the efficiency, there are number of noticeable advantages of Kaby Lake used in the 7th generation processors, such as:
- This has made the processors 10 times more efficient with regards to its power. This performance per watt ratio is much better and higher as compared to that of the 1st generation processors. On the other hand, when compared with its predecessor, the 6th generation processor was able to perform only 8 times better with regards to the functionality.
- It has also enabled the 7th generation processor to have 19% improvement in its web performance ability with all types of productivity apps that perform at a much faster rate.
With all these features and benefits, it is considered that the launching of the new 7th generation processors by Intel was always good.
This helped the manufactures of the PCs to look ahead and produce better models and systems that will support the 7th generation processors.
For example, the chipmaker came out with a clamshells variety that is much thinner, almost 10 mm in size. It is considered to be even thinner than HP Spectre 13.
There are over hundreds of new designs out there that come from different manufacturers of PCs, and all of them support the Kaby Lake or 7th generation processor.
In simple terms, the 7th generation Intel Core processor is simply an upgraded version of the 6th generation processor. Period.
However, that is what it looks like, superficially. If you look into the design, structure, history and its merits and demerits very closely, you will see that the 7th generation processor has a lot of difference from its earlier variant. It also has a lot to offer.
The 7th generation core processor of the Celeron and Intel family, namely the Xeon E3 1275 v6 processor, are all updated and manufactured products of Intel. These processors use the latest 14 nm technology.
Compared to the predecessors, the 7th generation processor is paired with a set of Intel 100 series or C 236 chipset. This provides the processors with great graphic functionality in comparison to the prior generations.
Right from the time of manufacturing of the S-series, it came with more flexibility. This helped the processor to match with the feature, performance, and cost of the IoT applications as well.
The S-series processors are mainly used in the industrial and manufacturing rank PCs, Transactional Retail Terminals or TRTs, and also in flexible general embedded designed conditions. It has remarkable features for the performance, namely:
- Double digit CPU and Graphics performance gains
- Improved Power efficiency
- Quad- core and dual core options
- Ability to reuse the existing IP and board designs
- Ability to use advanced manageability and security system to function properly and keep data safe and
- Work on the IoT used conditions and extended product supply.
With all these features and ability of the 7th generation processor, you can literally do anything with your computer.
It has helped the manufacturers to extend the facilities, as it is found today. Now, you can play games, chat, share, and watch Ultra HD 4K HDR premium content on your computer, all at the same time.
Therefore, a computer with the 7th generation Intel Core processor will ensure premium performance.
The new and advanced features of it will influence productivity, creativity and entertainment with a huge range of devices that vary in designs and sizes.
The 7th generation processor for desktop PCs have the new properties to perform with the enhanced features of the chip.
For example, the Intel core i7 7700k processor comes with 4 packs of high-performance cores, with 4.2 GHz frequency, and an 8 MB of cache memory. This improves the speed, number and quality of the performance.
The Intel 2.0 Turbo Boost Technology increases the speed of the 7th generation processors using the turbo frequency to 4.5 GHz.
Also, adding the Intel Hyper Threading technology of 8 ways multitasking is an added feature in this processor. The 7th generation processor is, therefore, an amalgamation of different features and functionalities, such as:
- It delivers standard and unlocked processors from core i7 to i3 of Intel with different types of functions with various types of usages.
- The Intel Optane memory having the intelligent software ensures performance improvements with speedy response of the apps during the system operation and response.
- The Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 in Intel Core i7 and i5 processor provides an added feature in regards to the performance.
- Each core processor can work on two different tasks at the same time because of Intel’s Hyper Threading Technology. This technology, in the process, helps in improving multitasking abilities and speed up the workflow.
- In this processor, the memory can be extended to DDR4 RAM that enables it to have a 64 GB of memory. This means that it will support the high-speed transfer at the rate of 2400MT/s with only minimum consumption of power up to 1.2 volts in comparison to the speed of 1600 MT/s and 1.5 V power consumption of a DDR3 RAM.
- It increases the whole range of base clock settings which provide better control for overclocking for the platform paired with an Intel Z270 chipset to tune the core, power and memory in the system.
The whole platform experiences the Great VR, or Virtual Reality, where the processor, graphics, I/O connectivity, display, and audio, all come under it.
Since high performance of the processor is required for a great VR experience, therefore, the computers must have the premium HMD to Intel Core i7 or Core i5.
Gaming, which has become a common feature now-a-days, will be better and smoother and the gamer can do a lot of different things apart from playing from the PC if it has an Intel i7 core processor. This includes:
- Live streaming
- Editing and
- Posting images and videos.
Premium movie streaming can be also done in the Ultra HD 4K, if the system supports the latest media technologies.
So, the desktop computers with 7th generation Intel core processors supported by the media technologies provide the premium and high-quality content. These media technologies include:
- HEVC 10-bit encoding and decoding and
- VP9 10 bit decoding.
These technologies ensure the streaming of premium 4K entertainment smoothly with full screen mesmerizing viewing.
With the 4K video and 360-degree viewing, users get a Wide Color Gamut, commonly known as WCG. This makes the video or images feel lively and real.
Also, to watch 4K HDR movies for excellent clarity and luminance using an Ultra HD Blu-ray is enhanced by the 7th generation processor installed in it.
Last but not the least, the Quick Sync Video technology from Intel helps the users to create and share photos and videos as well as do multitasking in real time, without any intervention.
The 7th generation Intel Core processor has the hardware level security features that reinforce the feature and functionality of the pre-installed security software.
This hardware-based feature helps in reducing the threats to your computer. These features are as follows:
- The SGX or Software Guard Extensions applications of Intel that help to secure your data as well as your system
- The Memory Protection Extension applications that safeguard the run time integrity
- The Device Protection Technology with BIOS Guard and the Device Protection Technology with Boot Guard of Intel that provides security to the system while it boots and
- The Platform Trust Technology that safeguard the system boot integrity with the help of all the critical elements installed in it.
Therefore, in a nutshell, it can be said that, though it is considered to be an upgrade of the 6th generation processor, the 7th generation core processors are far better than its predecessors.
1. Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology
This feature of the 7th generation processor helps in increasing the frequency along with the advantages of the thermal and power headroom.
2. Hyper Threading Technology
This feature allows the processor to perform larger quantity of work, mostly at the same time, and all of it can be performed with less time and less energy consumption.
3. HD Graphics
This helps the processor in playing back high-quality videos with more picture clarity. It enhances the viewing pleasure and enables editing.
4. Quick Sync Video
This feature of the processor helps in providing high quality videos, video conferencing, conversion, online sharing, video editing and authoring.
5. Clear Video HD
This helps in featuring best quality videos with better quality resolution for richer HD playback and web browsing.
6. Integrated Memory Controller
This feature of the 7th generation processor provides support to the DDR4 RAM for reading and writing performance with better algorithm and high memory bandwidth as compared to its predecessor.
7. Smart Cache
It helps in sharing cache with every core of the processor depending on the workload. This helps in reducing the latency in the process and at the same time assures best performance.
8. Virtualization Technology
This technology helps the hardware platform to perform as multiple virtual platforms. It also helps in limiting the downtime by maintaining the level of productivity. It actually divides the computer activities into different parts.
9. Advanced Encryption Standard Instructions
Also known as AES, this feature helps the processor in fast encryption of the data and applications. It also helps in performing other complex tasks such as disk and file storage encryption, internet security, access to HD matters, VoIP, and protection of email contents.
10. The cost
The 7th generation core processor is much more expensive when compared with the price of the Intel Core-i3 and Core-i5 processors.
11. Power consumption
When compared with a core-2 duo processor type, the power consumption of the 7th generation processors is nothing better, significantly.
You will need a new motherboard to use this processor. This will add up to the already high cost of the processor itself.
The processor is very sensitive to high voltages. Therefore, without a stable and constant power supply, the hardware components of the processor, if not your system, will be at a risk of damage or failure.
Summing It up
The 7th generation processor is a microprocessor chip designed with advanced technology compared to its predecessors.
The processors offer better performance for tasks like video playback and casual gaming, and they also introduced new technologies such as Intel’s Hyper-Threading, which allows the processor to execute multiple threads simultaneously, improving multitasking ability.
While the 7th generation Intel Core processor is simply an upgraded version of the 6th generation processor, it has a lot of differences and improvements from its earlier variant, such as better power efficiency and improved video operations features.