What is micro ATX motherboard? Since the invention of the computer, it has gone through continuous developing processes. To cope with the demands of modern users, this developing process must go on.
Intel was the first company to introduce the Micro ATX motherboard in the market. Check out differences between ATX and Micro ATX motherboard.
What is Micro ATX Motherboard?
The Micro ATX motherboards are widely acknowledged as the mATX motherboard. The traditional motherboards are 9.6″ wide x 9.6″ deep.
But the Micro ATX motherboard is of 6.75″ wide x 6.75″ deep. Having a smaller motherboard, the size of the cabinet also gets reduced in modern PCs.
This type of motherboard was introduced in December 1997 by Intel. It can also be used in the case of an ATX motherboard.
Usages of a Micro ATX Motherboard
If anyone is going to configure a budget friendly compact PC then a micro ATX motherboard is the best choice.
Having a compact size, these mATX motherboards are very common in every updated, compact PC.
The lifespan of Micro ATX Motherboard
A Micro ATX can efficiently work for a period of 3-4 years. After this period, the users have to change the motherboard of his PC.
If the user goes with a good, updated motherboard, and properly uses the PC then, it can easily serve 5 years without any issue.
This update is necessary as new concepts and peripherals are introducing rapidly in the universe of computers.
- One of the major advantages of the mATX motherboard is its size. The size of it is very compact; for which the size of the chassis becomes relatively smaller.
- This type of motherboard is quite cheaper than the ATX motherboards.
- Except the high end users, most of the computer users prefer micro ATX motherboards, as they are able to fulfill most of the purposes of the users at an affordable price tag.
- Some this type of motherboard, of low budget, doesn’t offer more than two slots for the RAM. Although most of the mATX motherboard manufacturers offer some product with 4 RAM slots and they are quite costly.
- It offers less PCIe slots to the users. Although it isn’t a major issue because most of the users use only one PCIe slot for mounting the GPU.
- Most of the computers which are equipped with a micro ATX motherboard have a very compact design. For this compact design, these PCs are not able to offer a great cooling system.
- This type of motherboards are not used in any gaming PCs. As it has a very compact size, it is not able to provide sufficient room for large GPUs, great cooling system, and other advanced features which are very necessary in a gaming system.
- The mATX motherboards offer a lower power output than a regular motherboard.
- An ATX motherboard can easily be replaced by a mATX motherboard. But to insert an ATX motherboard to a system which has mATX motherboard, the user has to change the whole cabinet as its size has to be increased.
What does micro ATX motherboard mean?
The micro ATX motherboard is the compact form of ATX motherboard. In terms of performance, micro ATX motherboards are not as good as ATX motherboards, but, having a compact size, it is used in most of the computers of recent time.
What is the standard size of a micro ATX motherboard?
Most of this type of motherboard has a dimension of 24.4 x 24.4 cm, 9.6 x 9.6 in; whereas the dimension of the larger ATX motherboard is 30.5 x 24.4 cm, 12 x 9.6 in. The most promising thing in a mATX board is its compact size.
Is a micro ATX motherboard good for gaming?
No, the micro ATX motherboards are not made to serve the gamers. Being compactly designed, this type of motherboard is not able to provide great cooling ability. The GPU ability of it is also limited. Not only gamers but also every high end user should avoid micro ATX motherboards. But casual games can be played in it.
Can micro ATX fit in Mid Tower?
Most of the mid-tower and full-tower cases support ATX motherboards. As we mentioned earlier, a micro ATX motherboard can be easily fitted in every PC which supports an ATX motherboard. The size of ATX is larger than micro ATX.