In This Article
What is 6th Generation Processor?
A 6th generation processor is a microprocessor chip from the sixth generation of computer processor technology. They feature advanced semiconductor technology, high clock rates, improved instruction sets, and enhanced multimedia capabilities.
The sixth generation of processors featured a significant improvement in the number of transistors that could be packed onto a single chip, allowing for greater computing power and improved performance.
They also incorporated new technologies such as multimedia extensions (MMX) and the streaming SIMD extensions (SSE), which enabled them to process multimedia data more efficiently.
- The 6th generation processors allow performing computing tasks more easily since it is factory unlocked and does not need overclocking.
- The cooling system of these processors is quite effective due to the thermal paste and Stock Cooler Fan.
- The processor runs at a reasonably high speed even at low power and without any noise and will consume less power due to its low TDP even at highest workload which enhances its life expectancy.
- The average graphics performance and low use of RAM by these processors do not make them suitable for high end gaming.
Understanding 6th Generation Processor
The 6th generation processor is all set to take computing and gaming pleasure to new heights.
It has set a very high standard with its sleek design, a better microarchitecture and use of some of the latest technologies in its manufacturing.
These processors are much thinner than the others but that does not affect its high level of performance negatively in any way.
If you compare the 6th generation Intel core i5 and i7 processors with the other variants you will see that:
- The processor has the power to start in about half a second
- It can offer two and a half times better performance and
- It has three times better and longer battery life.
The most unique aspect of the 6th generation Intel processors is that it has integrated features that optimize its performance when run on Windows 10.
This ensures newer and better experiences by eliminating the pain points in computing. Most importantly, it guarantees more secure data transfer and computing.
All these features and characteristic attributes make the 6th generation Intel core processor much more scalable as well than its counterparts, both for the consumers, general users of computers and the businesses.
The design and architecture of the processor enables it to be used and work exceptionally well across the broadest range of devices including:
- Desktop and laptop computers
- The AIO or All-In-One desktops
- The two-in-ones
- The notebooks and even
- The smallest Compute Stick of Intel.
What more, if you consider the first-ever Intel Xeon 6th generation processor, you can also use it for your mobile workstations.
Introduced by Intel on September 1, 2015, the 6th generation processor is considered to be the best processor even designed and featured in the Intel Core processor family. The main reasons for its liking by all users are:
- Its ability to deliver enhanced performance
- Ability to produce more immersive experiences
- Ability to function even at the lowest power levels and
- Ability to support a wide range of computing device designs and form factors.
It is all due to the new Skylake microarchitecture used in making the 6th generation processor along with the principal 14 nm manufacturing process technology of Intel.
This ensures better performance and longer battery life but most importantly, it produces thirty times better graphics.
This makes it the ultimate choice for the gamers for a smoother and seamless gaming pleasure and enriched video experience.
The new 6th generation processors are even more responsive than the other processors.
The technology used in its design will allow you to log in to your computer either through the personal assistant responding to your voice or by recognizing your face.
This responsive performance of the processor is further enhanced by its support for DDR4 RAM technology in any typical platform, which provides a 64 GB memory to the systems.
This means that the transfer speed of the data will be higher, at the rate of speed 2133 MT/s, and the consumption of power will be much less at 1.2 volts.
When you consider the 6th generation Intel Core i7 and Core i5 processors, you will also get the benefits of the Intel Turbo boost 2.0 technology.
This will provide you with that additional boost in performing those complicated tasks that need faster and more secure data transfer with more frequency.
Finally, the Intel Hyper-Threading technology used in its structure provides that extra oomph to the processor.
This technology allows each of the cores in it to work concurrently on two different tasks.
This enables multitasking, improves the speed, and enhances the workflow.
In fact, the Intel core i7 processor will be able to run up to 8 threads at the same time.
This means that the 6th generation core processors will enable you to achieve more in less time.
One of the best processors ever produced by Intel is the 6th generation processors.
The design and architecture specs of this processor produces amazing results in computing.
You will get better performance, fast startups, longer battery file, and intense HD video and graphics.
Well, you may think that these are the things that you commonly hear when a new generation of processor is launched. If that is the case, then these following traits of the 6th generation core processor will surely influence you:
- You will not need to do any overclocking because it is factory unlocked. This means that you can perform your tasks more easily and effectively.
- You will also not need to worry about the cooling system because a Stock Cooler Fan is included in the package. The thermal paste is already applied.
- The processor will run very silently even when the power supply is low and it runs at its highest RPM.
- The power consumption will be much lower because of the low TDP of the processor, even when the processor performs at the highest workload. This means that it will have a longer life as well.
With hyper threading, Turbo Boost 2.0 and 14 nm technology included in its design, you will probably want nothing more from these processors.
This new generation processor also comes with a few mobile-first design features such as:
- The unlocked mobile ‘K’ SKU that enables overclocking and ensure more control by the users,
- The new quad-core in the 6th generation i5 processor that enhances multitasking in mobiles by up to 60%
- The Intel Xeon E3 processor will also power up the performance of the mobile workstations.
In the 6th generation core processors, the new Speed Shift technology introduced by Intel helps in improving the responsiveness of the mobile systems as well. This feature will allow you to use a photo filter faster by up to 45%.
If you are into gaming, the 6th generation Intel core processors will improve the graphics significantly to ensure that stunning visuals are displayed.
It will also help significantly if you want to create any 4K content or use it for media playback.
The features and specifications of the different models and varieties of 6th generation processors are different that enables a smoother and better performance.
For example, the Intel Xeon processor E3-1275 v5 comes with a cache of 8 M and 3.6 GHz clock speed consuming 80 W power to support a memory DDR4-1866/2133 and DDR3L-1333/1600.
Following the same order of specification such as Processor Name and Model, Cache, Clock Speed, Power consumption and Memory support, the other types of 6th generation core processors of different manufacturers can be enumerated chronologically as follows:
- Intel Xeon processor E3-1225 v5 – 8 M, 3.3 GHz, 80 W, DDR4-1866/2133 and DDR3L-1333/1600
- Intel Xeon processor E3-1268L v5 – 8 M, 2.4 GHz, 35 W, DDR4-1866/2133 and DDR3L-1333/1600
- Intel Core i7 6700 – 8 M, 4.0 GHz, 65 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Core i7 6700TE – 8 M, 3.4 GHz. 35 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Core i5 6500 – 6 M, 3.6 GHz, 65 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Core i5 6500TE – 6 M, 3.3 GHz, 35 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Core i3 6100 – 4 M, 3.7 GHz, 65 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Core i3 6100TE – 4 M, 2.7 GHz, 35 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Pentium processor G4400 – 3 M, 3.3 GHz, 65 W, DDR3L 1600 and DDR4 2133
- Intel Pentium processor G4400TE – 3 M, 2.4 GHz, 35 W, DDR4 1866/2133 and DDR3L 1333/1600
- Intel Celeron processor G3900 – 2 M, 2.8 GHz, 51 W, DDR4 1866/2133 and DDR3L 1333/1600 and
- Intel Celeron processor G3900TE – 2 M, 2.3 GHz, 35 W and DDR4 1866/2133 and DDR3L 1333/1600.
As for the specifications of the two most commonly used chipsets, here it is:
- The Intel Q170 Chipset uses 6 W of power and the features of it support up to six SATA ports for 6 Gbps transfer and 14 USB ports of which 10 are USB 3.0. It also supports up to 20 PCIe x1 3.0 ports, 1×16, 1×8+2×4, or 2×8 PCIe graphics. The DIMM for each memory channel is 2/2 which supports the Intel vPro technology.
- The Intel H110 Chipset, on the other hand, uses 6 W of power and supports up to four SATA ports for 6 Gbps transfer and 10 USB ports of which only 4 are USB 3.0. It also supports up to 6 PCIe x1 2.0 ports, 1×16 PCIe graphics. The DIMM for each memory channel is 2/1.
All these features and inclusion of technology in the 6th generation Intel core processor has made it the best one to use for VMCS shadowing, OS guard, identity and data protection. The best part of it is that it is conflict free.
The Pros of 6th Generation Processor
1. Transform your workplace
Use of the 6th generation processor will change the way you work as well as your workplace.
The innovative technology will provide more mobility which will in turn help in collaborative work and thereby increase the productivity to new levels.
With the ability of working in different form factors, these processors will work perfectly for any device whether it is in your office or mobile.
2. Enhance productivity
The features and innovative technology of the 6th generation processors will help you to achieve 2.5 times more productivity.
The graphics will be 30 times better than any of the older generation processors.
3. Battery life
The enhanced power management technology of the processor will ensure a 3-times longer battery life.
You can use your system for up to 10 hours without requiring it to recharge, if it has an Intel 6th generation vPro processor.
This technology also makes these processors the most energy efficient.
4. Wake up time
The new and responsive processors will reduce your wait time as well.
The superior technologies used in making these processors ensure a wake-up time as low as half a second.
The processor ensures seamless and uninterrupted web browsing and multitasking.
The functionality of this processor is fast and more enhanced to help you in performing complex tasks.
6. Flexibility in form factors
The innovative design of the 6th generation processors gives it unmatched form factor flexibility.
It can be used in premium notebooks, PCs, clamshells and more.
Therefore, you will find it easy to find the right device to complete your specific task.
The performance and productivity will therefore be never compromised.
7. Wireless capability
These latest processors come with wireless capability. This will help you to transform your ordinary workplace to an unwired workplace.
You can even connect to a projector or a monitor in your conference room through this technology.
This means that you will not need to waste time looking for the right dongle or cable to use it for this purpose.
This will increase productivity as well.
8. Wireless docking
Another useful feature of the 6th generation processors is wireless docking.
This will enable you to connect with other peripherals for a wire like performance. You can even connect to a 2 HD monitor.
This feature will not only affect the performance but will also de-clutter your work area by freeing up some space.
9. Better integration
These 6th generation processors are integrated with Windows 10 which further enhances its performance and your productivity.
This combination will provide support for running all those universal apps, irrespective of the device you use.
It ensures better hardware manageability at the same time.
10. Better security solutions
While performing different tasks, the processor will protect your system and data from the security threats.
It will detect malware and other attacks on your system automatically.
It will also help in rectifying the unsecure conditions and protect the identity of the users.
11. The SSD Pro series
This feature of the processors enables it to enhance the self-encryption capabilities according to the OPAL requirements.
This solid-state drive series prevents data loss also at the same time.
12. Remote secure erase feature
When systems need a change of hands or repurpose, this feature will enable the IT professionals to clear all sensitive data from the drives.
This means that you will not have to remove the SSD physically.
13. Unique management tools
The vPro technology used in the 6th generation processors provides the users with some unique hardware and system management tools.
This feature will help you or your IT department to track and manage any system literally from any location.
You can even remotely repair devices even when the operating system is unresponsive or the systems are powered off.
This will reduce your support and maintenance costs.
14. Highly responsive
The innovative design and the new architecture of the 6th generation processor makes it highly responsive.
It supports DDR4 RAM to ensure high memory and even higher data transfer speeds.
The performance is made even better with the Turbo Boost 2.0 and hyperthreading technology.
15. Better visuals
The visuals displayed are also stunning due to the support provided by the processor for VP 8, VP 9, and HEVC.
The video capabilities of the processor are even more enhanced by the Quick Sync Video technology of Intel.
The Cons of 6th Generation Processor
16. Average graphics rendering
The graphics rendering of the processor is not as high as expected. In fact, it is at par with the other generations of Intel Core processor family.
17. Not suitable for high end gaming
If you play a lot of high-end games on your laptop or desktop computer, or on your mobile devices, then the 6th generation processor may disappoint you by a considerable extent.
18. Invest in good GPU
If you want a better graphics rendering, you will need to invest a few dollars more on a good GPU.
This will enhance the picture quality and the frame rate to ensure uninterrupted gaming pleasure but will increase your cost.
19. Use of RAM
Though the capability of the processor is much higher, it in fact does not use more than 2 GB RAM. Once again this reduces the graphics rendering ability which is not preferred by the professional gamers.
The Final Thought
Simply looking at the list of advantages and disadvantages and the features, functionality and the performance, it can be concluded that the 6th generation processor is a worthy investment. It will surely be much better than the 5th.